To honor Nick Yovnello, former President of AFT College Council and longtime fighter for workers’ rights and expanded educational access, the AFTNJ awards one scholarship of $1,000 to an eligible student activist who demonstrates a commitment to fight for social and economic justice.
• The AFTNJ Nicholas Yovnello Social Justice Scholarship Award is open to any AFTNJ member in good standing who has been a member for at least one year – or a family member of an AFTNJ member in good standing who has been a member for at least one year.
• For AFTNJ members or family members, the scholarship award is open to graduating high school seniors or students currently enrolled in either a public college, trade school or a union apprenticeship program.
• The scholarship award is also open to seniors, public college or trade school students currently attending an AFTNJ represented school. Applicants must submit a recommendation from an AFTNJ member in good standing.
• Children or legal dependents of AFTNJ or local union staff are also eligible for this scholarship opportunity.
• Application deadline is December 31, 2017. All required components must be completed and received by close of business.