We have a Tentative Agreement (also known as “Memorandum of Agreement”/MOA) from our negotiations to settle the declaration of fiscal emergency. This joint negotiation was hard fought and won together, for the members of URA, HPAE (Locals 5089 and 5094), CWA (Local 1031), and AAUP-AFT. It is the first agreement of its kind where management negotiated with the Coalition of Rutgers Unions and we are proud of the work to accomplish this agreement on behalf of all of our locals. In order for this tentative agreement to go into effect, members must vote yes to ratify the agreement. The Executive Board of the URA supports this agreement and encourages a YES vote to ratify the agreement.
- Full tentative agreement (PDF)
- Highlights sheet (PDF)
- REVISED 4–2‑21: Work Share Cost Out — Quick Reference (PDF)
Some highlights are:
- No new layoffs until January 1, 2022 unless a grant expires or there is a lack of work beyond the current pandemic impact.
- If Rutgers tries to lay someone off anyway, they are required to make the person whole, including salary and benefits, until January 1, 2022 or find them another position.
- The 3% across the board salary increase scheduled for July 1, 2020 will be effective July 1, 2021.
- The 2.5% across the board salary increase scheduled for July 1, 2021 will be effective March 1, 2022.
- Positions covered entirely by external grants will not be required to defer raises. Those positions will receive the July 1, 2020 3% raise retroactively and the 2.5% raise on July 1, 2021.
- If you were already laid off and recalled or rehired, your salary is increased when you return.
- The work share program overlaps with the federal American Rescue Plan Act which provides an extra $300 per week plus the weekly New Jersey unemployment benefit.
- 10 days furlough for 12-month employees, 8 days furlough for 10-month employees
- 1 furlough day per week (20%) for consecutive weeks
- Many scenarios where members will not be required to furlough
- No extension of current contract. The length of our current contract remains intact assuring all raises are paid within the life of the original contract
For questions about the agreement, attend an upcoming meeting.