Defensive Driving — A Union Benefit
Article 34. “Professional Development” a new article in our contract, includes the right to take the New Jersey State Safety Council Defensive Driving Course offered by Rutgers Emergency Services, on work time — even if it is not required for your job.
The benefit of this program is two-fold. First, by honing our driving skills, we protect ourselves and our families on the crowded roads of New Jersey. Second, motorists insured in New Jersey may obtain a 5% discount on auto insurance for the next three years.
As an added incentive to safe driving, URA-AFT will reimburse the $20 insurance discount fee to signed, full-dues union members who take advantage of this program.
ARTICLE 34 – PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
Employees who are not required to attend the Rutgers Defensive Driving course by their department but who want to take the course may request to do so at a time and date that is mutually convenient to the employee and the supervisor. Such request shall not be unreasonably denied. All costs associated with taking the course for those employees who are not required to attend shall be borne by the employee.
- Find the class schedule at http://publicsafety.rutgers.edu/Portal/E‑SClassRegis/ClassRegisPublic1.aspx
- You must obtain permission from your department to take the class on a particular date, but the contract provides that your request “shall not be unreasonably denied”. There is no charge to you or your department for this course.
- If you are interested in taking this course in Newark or Camden, please email email@example.com.
- Further information from Rutgers Emergency Services: http://rues.rutgers.edu/defense.php
- You must bring a copy of your Driver’s License to class.
- You must have completed a vision screening within the last six (6) months if operating a University vehicle. One can be provided the day of the course for $15.00 per student.
- Insurance Premium Reduction: “Participants are also entitled to a 5% discount on their automobile insurance premium, for three years, at the time of renewal. The discount does not apply if the driver has accumulated 4 points in the past year. A copy of the course certificate must be presented to the insurance company in order to receive the discount. The insurance carrier will verify course participation through the NJ Division of Motor Vehicles.” COST: $20.00 non-refundable processing fee. Fee must be paid by cash or check the day of the course. Please contact your insurance carrier for details.
- For reimbursement of your $20.00 fee, mail a copy of the course certificate to: Defensive Driving Program, URA-AFT, 57 Paterson St. New Brunswick, NJ 08901. Reimbursements will be processed in the month following receipt.